Please note: This guide may still be viable, but is very old.
You will probably find better ones or will need to tweak a few things. In addition, some or all meta game information and play style/hints may include outdated information. As soon as an updated version is available, it will be shown here. If you have up-to-date information on how to improve this build, please leave a comment below. Thank you.
With the latest patch from November 20th a new heavy mech has been deployed to the field: the Cataphract! One of the most appealing variants is the CTF-4X due to its four (4(!)) ballistic slots. Now lets see what one can do with this:
- Standard Engine 210
- Endo Steel Structure
- Double Heat Sinks (~13)
- Maxed Armor
- 4x AC/2 Autocannon
- 2x Medium Laser
- 8x AC/2 ammo (put 4 in legs and 4 in torso protected with CASE)
Playstyle and Tips:
- The ammo is very expensive so try to work with auto 75% rearm (turn auto-ream off and launch into new match).
- Do not brawl first row. If you get caught in a melee fight with an Atlas you will likely lose. Try to stay in the 2nd row or keep at least 200+ distance.
- If you find a Gausspult (Catapult armed with 2x Gauss Rifles) fire at it! The screen shaking from 4x AC/2 will ensure that the Gausscat cannot aim properly and will be rendered useless.
- Only fire your lasers when encountering light mechs or when you have run out of ammo.
- Set weapons to alternating (by pressing BACKSPACE) to maximize fun for yourself and screenshaking for your foes.
- If you find yourself overheating a lot, try to fire in short bursts rather than holding down the trigger.